GOVERNMENT OF NATIONAL CAPITAL
TERRITORY OF DELHI
ADMINISTRATIVE REFORMS DEPARTMENT
7TH LEVEL, C-WING, DELHI SECRETARIAT,
I. P. ESTATE, NEW DELHI
F. No. 4(30)/2001-AR/
All Pr. Secretaries/Secretaries/
Heads of Departments,
Govt. of NCT of Delhi,
All Chairman / Managing Director of
Local & Autonomous Bodies / Undertaking,
Govt. of NCT of Delhi
Subject : Special Drive for weeding out of Old Records.
In order to streamline the record management, it has been decided that a special drive for weeding out of old record should be launched during the month of June/July 2002 for a period of 10 to 15 days depending upon the volume of records to be reviewed.
2. All the HODs are requested to chalk out a programme for weeding out of old record in respect of all their offices including field units and attached & subordinate offices. During the drive each and every file/register/document and other records lying for three years and above may be examined and reviewed and its life span be decided. All files/documents/records, which have become obsolete, should be weeded out as per Procedure laid down in the M O P and the Record Retention Schedules.
3. A copy of the Record Retention Schedule is enclosed for reference. Retention Schedule for substantive functions should be drawn by the concerned departments in consultation with Archives & A.R. Deptt. for the record for which no retention period is prescribed. It will help the departments in deciding the longevity of records for maintenance.
4. Efforts should be made to keep a reasonable ratio between creation and destruction of records so as to make available adequate floor area for use by public and staff. The record to be preserved should be maintained after their "Recording" as per provision of Manual of Office Procedure, so as to help in quick retrieval, economic handling and safe custody. The record of historic nature should be transferred to Delhi Archives.
5. A senior officer may please be appointed as liaison officer to monitor the progress of weeding out of old records. He should also test check the utility of records kept for future maintenance to ensure that unwanted records are not kept unnecessarily.
6. Necessary programmes may please be worked out and circulated within your department and field units viz. Districts, Zones, Circles, Hospitals, Education Institutions etc. for observance of the drive meticulously. A copy may also be sent to this department for record.
7. The progress report of the special drive may please be communicated to the Administrative Reforms Department in the enclosed proforma after the completion of the drive or by the 5th of July 2002 positively.
PROGRESS REPORT OF SPECIAL DRIVE FOR WEEDING OUT OF RECORDS - 2001
Name of the Department __________________________________
Period of special drive from ________ to _____, 2002
S. No. Type of Document Number of Records weeded out during the drive
iv) Books/Periodicals/Printed Material
Signature of Reporting Officer with stamp.